It's Okay to Not Know


If there's one thing I've been learning throughout this whole process of preparing for college this fall, it's that it's okay to not know. It's okay to not have everything figured out, to not have it all together.

As someone who likes to have everything planned out and know what I'm getting myself into, this has been such a challenging thing for me to learn. So how does this tie in with my college prepping for this fall? Well, deciding what to major in has been a bit of a struggle for me (as I'm sure you know by now, if you've read my other posts!). I've been putting all of this unnecessary pressure on myself to figure out right now what I want to study. Sometimes, I'll feel confident about what I plan to major in, but give it a few days, and that assurance will waver, leaving me stressed and scrambling to find the degree that seems right for me.

Because the truth is, I don't know what I want to do yet. And as much as my perfectionist-self dislikes the idea, that's 100% okay! I'm only starting my first semester of college, taking your average Gen-Ed classes, so of course it's totally unnecessary to stress out and overthink about what I'm going to major in. Because truly, I do have plenty of time to decide.

So the moral of the story is this: even though we, as imperfect humans, might not know what to do most of the time, God always, always does, and I find that far more comforting! We don't have to figure everything out on our own; in fact, we can't figure everything out on our own. But we can take heart in the truth that God has every tiny detail of our life figured out, and He'll reveal His wonderful plans for us in His perfect timing.

By no means have I mastered all this. I'm still taking baby steps as God is teaching me to let go of the feeling that I need to have it all together, and instead just trust in Him. Trust and believe that He knows all things, and that I don't need to worry so much about what I'm going to do four years from now when I graduate college. Because He's going to be with me every step of the way, leading me and guiding me!

Here are a few verses that I'm going to try to keep in mind in order to help me with this. Maybe you could use them, too! :)

"We do not know what to do, but our eyes are fixed on you." - 1 Chronicles 20:12 ESV

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6

"The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." Proverbs 16:9

The Bible always says it best, doesn't it? :)

Much love,
Molly <3

P.S. I move away to college in just 29 days, y'all--29 days! How crazy and scary and exciting is that? (Okay, I'm only moving about 40 minutes away or so, but still.) I'm really looking forward to this new journey ahead of me, and in the meantime, I'm going to try to soak up and embrace every precious moment at home before I leave. :)

P.P.S. I'm almost done reading The Return of the King, and oh my goodness, I just read the chapter in which Eowyn and Faramir meet and fall in love. GAH, they are just so sweet and perfect together. I think Faramir would have to be one of absolute favorite LotR characters, along with Eowyn. They're both absolutely amazing characters. (Okay, enough rambling about this topic for now; I'm sure I'll be doing a post about the series once I finish it, and I can share all my thoughts about it with you then!)

Comments

  1. Molly, I am also one who needs a plan and needs it now, so I get this! I did not/don't plan on going to college, but at the same time I don't know what I am doing instead. I know what I want to do... but not how to do it and where to start, and sometimes it's hard being in this "evaluation" stage. But God won't let us miss our path if we are truly watching for ot without pushing rash decisions just so we have a plan, I remind myself often :). I hope your college experience is wonderful!
    Rejoicing in Hope,
    Bri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bri, thank you much for your comment! I'm so glad you can relate, and thanks so very much for your encouraging words. I especially love what you said about God not letting us miss our path is we are watching for it; what a comforting thought that is!
      Thanks again for your sweet words, Bri. I will be praying for you as you go through your own "evaluation stage!" <3

      Delete
  2. I found your blog a few days ago and love your corner of the inter-web. I've been in college for two years, going on three, and iv'e come to settle with a degree after having have changing my degree twice. It'll all workout! "even though we, as imperfect humans, might not know what to do most of the time, God always, always does..." YOU ARE SO RIGHT! It makes me happy to know even I might not know, that God does. Thank you for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa! Aww, thank you so much. I'm so glad that you've stumbled upon my blog and like what you see! I'm excited to have you following along. <3

      Ah, thanks for your perspective on this as a college student! And I'm so glad you enjoyed this post and that you found it encouraging. :D

      Delete
  3. I've been reading your lovely blog for a while now, although I've never commented before...but I wanted to say what a beautiful post this is, and such a timely reminder for me! Thank you for sharing so honestly!

    Also, I read the Lord of the Rings books last summer for the very first time, and THAT chapter of The Return of the King was my absolute favorite in the whole series!!! Gosh I just love Faramir & Eowyn together SO much!!! And Faramir was my favoritest character too! ;-)

    Yes yes, you must share a review when you finish reading!!! ;-)

    Catie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catie! It's "nice" to meet you, and thank you so very much for your comment! I'm glad that this post was a blessing to you. <3

      Yay, I'm so happy that you love Faramir and Eowyn, too! That chapter of the book was easily my favorite of the entire series as well. It was just too perfect!! <3 And YES, Faramir is amazinggg.

      Delete
  4. Amen!! God's also been teaching me to really trust in Him and not get so panicked whenever some unexpected difficulty or scheduling conflict or something of that nature comes up. He always works it out, and I can rest in that. Good post! :)

    ALSO I HAVE TO ADDRESS FARAWYN BECAUSE GIRL YES. That chapter in RotK is MY FAVORITE IN THE WHOLE SERIES, I'm pretty sure. IT IS EVERYTHING. :') <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olivia! I'm so glad that you can relate to this. <3

      Haha, YES, LET'S FANGIRL OVER THEM TOGETHER!! They're just so perfect + adorable together. That chapter was easily my absolute favorite of the entire series, too. It was soo beautiful! (Of course, the most romantic chapter of the trilogy would be my fave, haha. ;P)

      Thanks for your comment, Olivia!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love comments as much as Anne Shirley loves Octobers. (In other words, they're one of my favorite things!) Just be sure to click the "Notify Me" button, as I try my best to respond to every comment! Thank you. :)