Another Period Drama Tag

Elanor from Musings of a Jane Austen Wannabe has put together an absolutely lovely tag, all about period dramas, and I am so very excited to fill it out! So, let's go ahead and get right into it. :)


1.  What was the most recent period drama you watched? Share what you thought of it.

Little Women. I've discovered recently that I can watch movies and shows on my phone while I draw or work on Etsy orders, and Little Women was one of those! I think this film does a really good job at following the novel. Aside from some aspects that I think could be better, I really like this movie. Plus, the soundtrack is absolutely lovely--but more on that later! :)



2.  Do you generally prefer period dramas in the form of a movie or a TV series/mini-series?  Why?

I'd have to say I like them better in the form of a TV series or mini-series. Especially if it's one that is based off of a novel, because then it tends to follow the book more closely since it has more time to do so. The only problem is when you don't have enough time to watch the next episode yet, and you have to wait until later! (Or worse, when the next episode hasn't even been released yet!)

3.  What is your favorite musical period drama?

The Sound of Music counts, right? Because I do really love that one, especially at Christmastime. :)


4.  Read the book first or watch the movie first?

I've done both, so I suppose it depends. Typically I like to read the book first, because, well, books are (almost) always better, and I like being able to picture the story inside my head without being influenced by the movie/TV adaptation. But if it's a book I don't see myself reading anytime soon, then I'll probably just go ahead and watch the movie or show based off of it. Sometimes it'll inspire me to read the book even more!

5.  What is a valuable life lesson you learned from a period drama?

From Pride and Prejudice, I've learned not to judge others too hastily, and to always look for the best in people. From Anne of Green Gables, I've learned that kindred spirits are not so scarce as one might think, and that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet. From Northanger Abbey, I've learned that it is very important for one's love interest to have an understanding of muslin. ;) 

Okay, so that's more than just one valuable life lesson, but I couldn't limit myself to just one!

6.  Which period drama hero would you be likely to fall in love with in real life?

Alright ladies, if you've been reading my blog for a while, then I think you already know the answer to this one...


Seriously, Gilbert Blythe is like my dream guy. As I've stated on here (many times) before, he's just so sweet, kind, hardworking, funny, and caring. I love how he never stops loving Anne, even when it seems like he'll never win her over. Plus, he just so happens to be very handsome. Yeah, I think I would definitely fall for him in real life! 

(Also, I hate how when I look up "Anne of Green Gables" or "Gilbert Blythe," I see a bunch of images from the new Netflix adaptation of it. Like, EW! Get off my Pinterest!!)


Jonathan Crombie's portrayal of Gilbert Blythe is the only one for me. <3

7.  Do you ever like to binge-watch a period drama series?

Oh yes! Especially if we're talking about Pride and Prejudice 1995 or Emma 2009. ;) I don't think I've ever binge-watched an entire period drama series, though; the most was three episodes of P&P in a row, but I probably could have kept going if it weren't so late in the evening!

8.  What things go best with watching a period drama?

Hot chocolate (if it's winter), a knitting project, a cozy blanket, and someone to watch it with you (in my case, my mom!).

9.  Which period drama do you think you would fit into best?

Maybe Emma 2009, Pride and Prejudice 1995, or Anne of Green Gables. And not necessarily because I think I'd fit into them, but simply because they're my faves and I would just love to be in any one of them! All three have such beautiful scenery, wonderful characters, lovely costumes, and sweet, handsome suitors. ;)


How cute are these two?!

10. If you could have any period drama character for a best friend, who would it be?  And why?

I think I'll go with Anne Shirley. I feel like she'd be such a sweet, encouraging, supportive, and inspiring friend! Plus, you'd never be at a loss for things to talk about with Anne-girl around. ;)


11. Show us a picture of a period drama costume you wish you could wear in real life.

I'd love to wear Emma Woodhouse's entire wardrobe, honestly! But I especially love these two:



12. Are there any period dramas you like to watch during a particular season or holiday?

I think Anne of Green Gables is perfect for spring and summer, and Little Women is wonderful during Christmas/winter. Emma 2009 reminds me of fall, because I watched it around my birthday (which is in November), and P&P 1995 makes me think of Christmas vacation because that's when I watched it last year. 

Honestly, though, I would be perfectly fine watching any of these period dramas no matter what time of year it is! :)

13. Which period drama has your favorite soundtrack?

This is incredibly hard because I have quite a few! I absolutely love the Little Women soundtrack, and I've listened to it countless times. (In fact, it was my most-listened to album for 2017 according to my Spotify account, haha.) It's perfect to have on in the background while I'm doing schoolwork or drawing. 

I also LOVE the Sense and Sensibility '95 soundtrack. It's just beautiful, and I've listened to it many a time, as well! 

The Emma 2009 soundtrack is also full of gorgeous songs that make for perfect study or creativity music. Unfortunately it's not on Spotify anymore, or available for purchase anywhere, but thankfully there are still a few songs from it on Youtube.  



^ How I feel about not being able to listen to the Emma 2009 soundtrack in its entirety anymore...

14. Dream cast your favorite actor and actress in a period drama of your choosing; tell which parts they would play and why.

Ooh, this is tough! Hmm... well, I would love for there to be a really great adaptation of Rilla of Ingleside, but I honestly have no idea who I would cast for the roles! I think I shall skip this question as I really can't come up with a good answer.

15. Are there any period dramas you like more than one version of?

I like both the 1995 and 2008 adaptations of Sense and Sensibility. I like certain aspects about both, and I think they each do a really good job at doing the novel justice!



16. What are the top three period dramas that you haven't seen on your to-watch list?

I'd like to see Wives and Daughters, Love & Friendship, and Lark Rise to Candleford. I'm also rather curious to see the new adaptation of Little Women that's coming out soon.

17. Show a picture of your favorite period drama hairstyle.

I think Emma's braided bun is just gorgeous. I wish I could somehow do it on myself!



#hairgoals

18. What was your favorite wedding in a period drama?

The double wedding at the end of Pride and Prejudice 1995 is soo sweet, so I'm going to go with that one!




Okay, I couldn't resist putting this on here because it seriously cracks me up. Like, come on, Mr. Darcy, just smile, would you? ;P

19. What is your favorite biographical period drama?

My mind is totally blanking on this one! Hmm... I think I'm going to skip this one as well because I seriously can't think of anything right now.

20. Which historical novel will you forever recommend to anyone and everyone?

I will always recommend Pride and Prejudice to anyone and everyone! Need I explain why? ;)



Thanks so much for putting this delightful tag together, Elanor! I had soo much fun answering these questions. :) If you aren't following Elanor's blog, you totally should be! She is truly a kindred spirit and writes wonderful posts that you're sure to enjoy. :)

And now, the rules stated to tag at least one other blogger, so I'm going to tag...

Rae
Abby P
Rachel
Miss Woodhouse
Miss March

...and anyone else who wants to do this tag! By all means consider yourself tagged by me. :)


Thanks so much for reading!
Molly <3

Comments

  1. Loved this post Molly!! The whole time I was reading this I was nodding my head and saying, "Yes, yes, me too!" :D

    Yes, mini-series are best. It gives so much more time for details!

    "it is important for one's love interest to have an understanding of muslin." Hahaha I loved that XD

    HURRAH FOR GILBERT BLYTHE!!! And boo too the new Netflix adaptation! I've had the same frustrating problem...

    Awww I'm going to have to steal that Emma gif <3 <3 They are soooo sweet!!

    Your Anne gif made me laugh cause that's exactly how I feel about not being able to find the Emma soundtrack anywhere!! I was so sad when they took it off of iTunes!! :(

    Haha LOVE the Darcy meme!!

    Thank you for tagging me dear!! I can't wait to answer the questions! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss Woodhouse! Haha, I'm glad you can relate to so many of my answers! :)

      Yes, exactly!

      Hehe, I couldn't resist putting that in! It IS a very valuable life lesson, after all. ;P

      Yay, I'm so glad you agree with me about Gil! He's the best. :) Ugh yes! From what I've heard about it, I have no interest whatsoever in seeing it. It simply doesn't seem like Anne of Green Gables to me!

      Feel free to steal it, dear! It's too adorable not to. :)

      I had been wanting to use that Anne gif for something, and I felt like it fit perfectly with what I was talking about! ;) I'm really hoping that it'll be available again, soon! I really miss listening to it. :(

      Isn't it hilarious?!

      You are so welcome, Miss Woodhouse! I'm looking forward to reading your answers. :D

      Delete
  2. Lovely answers!!

    Hm... I definitely agree with you that Gilbert Blythe is amazingly awesome, but I don't like Jonathan Crombie as him. *gasp* I know, but I haven't actually seen any movie version of AoGG, and he doesn't look like how I pictured him.

    Well, I guess I really need to start listening to movie soundtracks. How much do you pay for Spotify?

    That version of Little Women = <3.

    Have a great day!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MovieCritic!

      I'm glad you agree that Gilbert Blythe is amazing, but hey, that's perfectly fine if you don't picture Jonathan Crombie as him! If you ever do watch a version of Anne of Green Gables, I definitely recommend the 1985 version with him and Megan Follows. I think it does a great job at sticking to the novel. :)

      Yes, you should totally start listening to movie soundtracks!! Especially period drama soundtracks. :) My Spotify account is actually linked to my dad's, but I believe he pays $10 a month. It's worth it in my opinion, because you get access to soo much music.

      Isn't it lovely? <3

      You have a great day as well, MovieCritic! Thanks for your comment! :)

      Delete
  3. Loved reading this, Molly! :)

    Oh, I must agree--an understanding of muslin is quite an important trait in a significant other. Haha! Loved that you put that in there!

    Ugh, I absolutely refuse to look at the Netflix AoGG. (Jonathan Crombie really is the only Gilbert, you're right.)

    My mom is usually my period-drama-watching companion, too. It's such fun to get all cozy and watch one together!

    Yes! I adore Emma's wardrobe. Those are two of my favorite dresses, too. (Especially her ballgown!)

    I know! I was so mad when they removed the Emma (2009) soundtrack from Spotify! I purchased it on iTunes, though, because it's definitely worth spending money on.

    Wives & Daughters is definitely on my to-watch list, as well. I have seen Love & Friendship, and I like it a lot. :)

    Emma's hair is so gorgeous. I wish I could do it on myself, too!

    HAHA! That wedding meme of Darcy!!! Cracked. Me. Up.

    Thanks for doing the tag, Molly! I so enjoyed this. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elanor!

      Hehe, I'm glad you agree with me on the importance of understanding muslin! I just couldn't resist putting that in there. ;P

      Same here!! I've read a couple reviews of it, and apparently they deviate quite a bit from the novel. It just doesn't sound like Anne of Green Gables to me! (I'm glad you agree with me on Jonathan Crombie's portayal of Gil!)

      Aww, that's so neat that you watch period dramas with your mom as well! I'm glad I was able to get her into them; it really does make it more fun sometimes to watch them with someone who's interested!

      I just checked for the Emma soundtrack on iTunes and, unless I'm missing it, it isn't even on there anymore! *sobs* Ah well, I'll just have to content myself with the six songs from it on YouTube, haha. ;)

      Yes, isn't her hairstyle just beautiful? <3

      I know right?! It's so hilarious and accurate. Pinterest is the best when it comes to memes like that. ;)

      Thank you so much for creating this awesome tag, Elanor! I had such fun answering the questions, and I'm so glad you enjoyed reading this! <3

      Delete
  4. I'm a hopeless romantic -- have been since my long ago childhood years...everything from that era interests me. I love that collage of Little Women, btw ;)
    Michaila
    seventytimeseven.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some ways, I'm probably a hopeless romantic, too. Maybe that's why Jane Austen books/films, Anne of Green Gables, and such appeal to me so much? Haha. :)

      Isn't it such a pretty collage? Gotta love Pinterest for things like that. ;)

      Thanks for your comment, Michaila!

      Delete
  5. Molly, Molly, EVERY time I read your blog I'm amazed by what a kindred spirit you are! (Why didn't we ever meet up when we lived closer? I believe you said you live near Williamsburg and I was THERE just a few months ago! 'Tis a pity.)

    On to the tag. I must begin by saying I agree with, like every single one of your answers. In fact, I could almost copy and paste it for my blog. Which I won't do, don't worry. :D

    That being said, I want to comment on all of the questions but I'm thinking it would end up being "yesss!!" "I completely agree" etc., over and over again, so I'll stick to only specific things I have to say. Or at least I'll try to do so.

    2. Seriously, yes, TV/Mini-series are the way to go. They're nearly always more accurate.

    4. Same.
    (I'm already failing at my resolve. :D)

    5. I love that! Those are all lessons, and the way you said it--I just love it! (Especially the one about muslin. Obviously. :D)

    6. Giiilllbert!!!!

    7. I think I've binge-watched both of those at least once...or at least I've done it within 24 hours and that counts, right? With P&P at least I have watched the whole thing straight before...at least twice? I need to watch Emma again though!

    8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, completely agree, yes (What did I tell you??)

    14. We need a Rilla, and we need a GOOD one. And we need it now.

    15. Yes! Both S&S movies are good.

    16. You MUST see Wives and Daughters, I don't know about Love and Friendship (haven't seen it), and Lark Rise? I watched the first season and then I was spending too much time watching it so I decided to stop and I haven't seen any more since. I should watch the rest now. :D

    20. OF COURSE P&P

    Thank you so much for tagging me! I would LOVE to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Rae!! I feel the same way every time I read one of YOUR blog posts! And yes, why didn't we meet up?! That would have been so awesome. <3

      Really?! It's amazing how much we agree on so many things! That would be so funny though if you just copied and pasted my answers; I mean, it would save you some time! Haha. ;P

      2.) Yes, mini-series for the win!

      5.) Aww thanks! I just had to slip that muslin quote in there somehow. ;P

      6.) Right?! He's the best. <3

      7.) Yes, I'd say watching a mini-series within 24 hours counts as binge-watching! I've definitely done that before, too. :)

      I love seeing how similar our opinions are, especially when it comes to period dramas! Yes, we're definitely kindred spirits. <3

      14.) YES, I'm totally with you! We need a good Rilla ASAP.

      15.) Right?

      16.) I've heard good things about Wives and Daughters in blog posts, so I really need to watch it soon!

      20.) YES! You can't go wrong with P&P.

      You are so welcome, Rae! I can't wait to see your answers if you do this tag yourself (no pressure, though!). Thanks for your lovely comment, dear! :)

      Delete
  6. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAGGING ME!!! I just finished writing up my post and it was loads of fun! :D

    I didn't read your answers until I'd written mine, so it was quite fun just now to see how some of our answers were similar. WE BOTH PICKED GILBERT FOR NUMBER 6!!! :D :D I totally agree with what you said about him. He's the best!! (And yes, Jonathan Crombie's portrayal is the only one for me, too! ;)) Also that gif. Love it! ;) <3
    9. MR. KNIGHTLY AND EMMA!!!! Awwww. <3 <3

    14. Casting movies is haaard!

    18. We both chose the Pride and Prejudice wedding scene! *high five* I guess that shouldn't be surprising though considering that it's one of our favorite movies! :) I just have to say you have excellent taste in movies, Molly! :D

    This was a delightful post. I really enjoyed it. Thanks again for tagging me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Miss March!! I can't wait to hop over to your blog and read your answers. :D

      YAY, we both picked Gilbert!! I'm so glad we agree about him. I'd say that definitely means we're kindred spirits. ;) (Isn't that gif adorable?!)

      9.) RIGHT?! They are SOO cute together. <3

      14.) It really is! I really couldn't think of anything for that question.

      18.) Woo-hoo! It's the one wedding scene that stood out in my mind, so I went with it. It really is a sweet ending to the series! :) Aww, thank you so much! You have wonderful taste in movies as well, Miss March. <3

      I'm so glad you enjoyed this post, dear, and thanks so much for your sweet comment!

      Delete
    2. This is kind of random but I think I just deleted a comment you left on my blog? I clicked on my spam folder and there was a comment from you in there (and I was like WHAT? Molly's comments aren't SPAM!!!). I meant to publish it, but it didn't go through somehow. Anyway it was my second to last post, the one with the Donald Duck pictures. So I just had to ask, did you leave a comment on that post or was my computer just being wacko and showing me things that don't really exist? Haha. ;) Anyway, if you did I just want you to know that I DID NOT DELETE IT ON PURPOSE!! :)

      Delete
    3. Haha yes, I do remember leaving a comment on that post, but it's totally okay! Don't worry about it. :) I know I've come to close to almost deleting someone's comment on accident before, so I understand! <3

      Delete
    4. Aw, thank you so much for understanding! <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love comments as much as Anne Shirley loves Octobers. (In other words, they're one of my favorite things!) Just be sure to click the "Notify Me" button, as I try my best to respond to every comment! Thank you. :)