"There's such a lot of different Annes in me."

Alright, so this is likely going to be a very rambly post, but I just really want to put these thoughts into words! :)


"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting." - Anne of Green Gables

Ever since I first read Anne of Green Gables, this quote has really resonated with me, but even more so now as I try to figure out what I want to study in college. As I've mentioned on here a few times before, I've gone back and forth loads of times about what I plan to major in. I just have so many different interests, and it's been pretty difficult to choose which of them I want to pursue!

I've mostly been torn between English, history, and animation. And for a while there, I was seriously considering the third option. I mean, I love drawing, so I tried to convince myself that I would enjoy animation. I tried telling myself that I would like it and that I should study something involving art because that's what I love doing in my free time.

But in the back of my mind, I think I knew all along that animation is not for me. I've tried to make myself enjoy digital art, but I'm just not really into it; I much prefer drawing with a pencil and paper! I really don't want to spend tons of time staring at a computer screen, trying to make art move. Because honestly, I have no desire to animate things, so why in the world would I want to spend four years studying it?!

I just don't! When I came to the realization that I seriously do not want to pursue animation and that I don't have to, I just felt so relieved, like a weight had been lifted off of me. I had been trying to make myself like something that I'm just really not interested in, and as would be expected, it didn't work! So I am officially scratching animation off of my options list; I am not going to consider it any longer. It just isn't me, and I honestly don't think it's what I'm meant to do.

It feels so good to say that!


You see, art is something that I love doing as a hobby, for my own enjoyment. And I want to keep it that way! The thought of turning it into work just isn't appealing to me.

So, what major am I considering now? History, actually, maybe with a minor in English, and I'm pretty excited by the prospect! It just seems way more up my alley, as I love history, and some of the things I could do with this degree include museums and historical preservation (my first thought was Colonial Williamsburg, haha!). I could also pursue this degree through online classes, which I am seriously looking into! While they're still expensive, they cost quite a bit less than staying on-campus would. I also like the fact that they would allow for a little more flexibility and freedom than studying on-campus would. (I think homeschooling has spoiled me a bit in that respect! ;P) 

I'm already feeling so much more confident and excited about this decision, which I think is a good sign!


Above all, I just want to do what God has called me to do, and I'm going to keep praying about what His will is for me with all this! It truly is such a comfort to know that even if I can't quite see it yet, He does indeed have a perfect, wonderful plan for my life, one that is far greater than anything I could ever imagine. I can trust Him wholly and completely with every aspect of my life. As Proverbs 3:5-6 says, 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
    and do not lean on your own understanding.
 In all your ways acknowledge him,
    and he will make straight your paths.

I know this post was very rambly (and likely boring, too!), so if you made it to here, thank you so much for reading this! I don't know if this post really had much of a point, but I find that it helps sometimes to put my muddled up thoughts into words. I've been thinking about all this for a while, and I already feel much better after writing it out!

Anyways, I shall put an end to this little life update here. I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your week!

-Molly 

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" - Jeremiah 29:11

Comments

  1. Ha! What a coincidence! I'm considering going into English with a minor in history. We'd be in the same studies just reversed. :)

    This was a great post, Molly! I can relate a lot because I, too, have struggled with figuring out exactly what I'm supposed to do for a career, and I know how relieving it can be to let go of an option that was weighing you down. I am definitely with you on praying for God's will. That's exactly the way to go about it.

    Again, loved this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool that we might be going into very similar studies! And who knows, I could end up doing English with a minor in history myself; I'm glad I still have plenty of time to decide! :)

      I'm so happy you enjoyed this post, Elanor! I was worried it might be a little boring, so that's good to hear. :) And I'm so glad that you can relate, too! It really does help knowing that you're not alone in a particular struggle. Planning for college is definitely an exciting time, but overwhelming sometimes as well, and I'm so grateful that is God is with us every step of the way. <3

      Delete
  2. Okay your blog look is perfection! If it's okay with you I'd love to redesign my personal blog (that I will reveal on my main blog) similar to this :D Also English and History are such fun but they are a lot of reading and a lot of work, that being said they are such fun majors (I did them before I began my teaching degree this year) :D

    All the best dear!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, Evangeline! That is so sweet of you, and I don't mind at all if you use my blog design as inspiration for yours! In fact, I'd be flattered. :D

      That's so cool that you studied English and History as well! I will definitely have to prepare myself for all the reading and writing that's entailed, but overall I'm excited. :) Best of luck with pursuing your teaching degree!

      Thanks so much for your sweet comment, dear! <3

      Delete
  3. I've got my BA in history (no minor but I should've done one in business since I could've done that easily). That was ages ago. I'm thinking of getting my masters in history eventually. But now I have to think of something more practical, an MBA or something, since good jobs+history degree in my experience don't mix.

    I feel the same way about keeping a hobby a hobby. So many people have asked me about or suggested to me selling my knitting. I don't think its lucrative for starters plus I feel that I would hate it. So many people all over the web talk about turning their passion into a career, but I don't think that works for everyone. I need a creative break, an outlet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat that you have your degree in history, too! Good luck with possibly pursuing your masters degree; that is awesome! :)

      I'm so glad you can relate to having a hobby solely as a creative outlet. While I do have an Etsy shop where I sell illustrated quotes and bookmarks, it still serves as an outlet for creativity and feels more like a hobby than "work." Having a shop where I sell my knitting (I love to knit, too!), on the other hand, would seem like a chore and, like you said, probably just make me hate it. It can be nice to just have hobbies and projects to work on that are just for your own enjoyment. :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, Molly! I understand how it is difficult choosing a major to study in college. I've been thinking a lot about this too and I'll probably be majoring in English and minoring in history! :)
    I love Proverbs 3:5-6. We have an amazing God who already knows everything!
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Danielle! I'm so happy you enjoyed this, and that you found it relatable. That is so cool that you might be majoring in English with a minor in history! That is still on my options list, too. Like you said, it really is so difficult to choose! :)

      Aren't they such great verses? And you are so right, our God truly is amazing, and I'm so grateful that we can put our confidence in Him! <3

      Delete
  5. I absolutely loved reading this post! Isn't it cool when God kind of opens your eyes up to something like this? Keep writing and seeking God's will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Dad! I'm so glad you enjoyed reading this. :)

      Yes, it felt so amazing when God led me to this realization! I will most definitely keep writing and praying for His will in my life. <3

      Delete
  6. Writing out one's thoughts in this way really does help sometimes, doesn't it? :)

    This was a lovely post, Molly. I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling more at peace about what you should do for college. What you said all makes perfect sense. And yes! If doing art for a job is going to take all the enjoyment out of it, then I certainly think it's a wise decision not to go down that path. Good luck with everything!

    Keep trusting God and giving it all over to Him. He's going to do great things through your life, just wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it truly does! I'm glad you agree. :)

      I'm glad you enjoyed this post, Miss March, and thank you so, so much for your sweet, encouraging words! They really do mean a lot to me. <3

      Delete
  7. This is a relatable post, just with a few different things in place of what you're considering. :D
    But I totally get what you mean, trying to convince yourself of something, and then when you hit upon the right thing, you just feel confident and happy and that's always a good sign! I know you'll do amazing with whatever you choose to do, and I wish you the very, very best!!!
    It's so true that you just have to trust in God and His plan to know what you need to do. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't turn to Him!
    <3 <3 <3
    Love this and you, and I hope you have a wonderful time with whatever you decide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much for your sweet, sweet words, Rae!! I'm glad you can relate this post. <3
      Yes, you are so right; I honestly don't know what I'd do without Jesus, and I'm so glad that we can trust wholeheartedly in Him. :)
      Again, thank you so, so much for your lovely, encouraging comment, dear! <3

      Delete
  8. That is so cool that you have figured it out! You are going to do amazingly! :D

    <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments as much as Anne Shirley loves Octobers. (In other words, they're one of my favorite things!) Just be sure to click the "Notify Me" button, as I try my best to respond to every comment! Thank you. :)