A Rather Random Post, Indeed

Hello, dear readers! My family and I are taking a little "staycation" this week from school and work, just doing different things in our area, and since I have some extra time on my hands I thought I would do a random "life lately" post. :)


That's me in Colonial Williamsburg last summer, snapping a picture of my sisters. :) I decided to use this as my new profile pic!
This past Saturday, I went to a Newsboys United concert in North Carolina with my parents, siblings, and a few other family members. (If you're familiar with contemporary Christian music, then you've likely heard of this group. If you haven't, you need to check them out!) The concert was absolutely amazing!!! Such a wonderful, wonderful night singing joyful praise to the Lord. The current members of the Newboys were there, of course, but for this particular tour, two of the band's original members from the 80s and 90s, Peter Furler and Phil Joel, performed some of the band's older hits as well. It was incredible, and definitely a night that I won't soon forget! 

Zealand Worship, a band that I hadn't heard of before this, opened for the Newsboys, and I LOVED their performance so much!! The lead singer is actually Phil Joel, the aforementioned former member of the Newsboys. I've been listening to their music pretty much non-stop for the past couple of days, and they've quickly become one of my favorite groups, right up there with Rend Collective. I definitely recommend Zealand's music! <3


There has been yet another new development in my college plans! What a surprise, right? ;P As I mentioned on here before, I had been seriously considering pursuing a degree in history. But the more I thought about, I realized that what I really wanted to study in college was something that involved my passion for art and creativity. So a couple of weeks ago, I came across a brand new program offered online through the college I'm currently enrolled in: a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Arts. As I read through the course descriptions, I was so excited, thinking to myself, "This is exactly what I've been looking for! This is what I need to do." God led me to discover this program at just the right time, when I had been kind of stressed and worried (unnecessarily) about my college plans. With classes like Drawing, Painting, Digital Photography, and Digital Illustration, I'm really looking forward to starting my freshman year of college this fall! 

While I have thought in the past that turning my hobby into a job would make it less enjoyable, I've come to the realization that I truly do want to do something where I can put my passion for creativity to use. And while I won't be able to stay on-campus for this program like I had been planning, I think I'll be alright. I mean, at least I'll be saving thousands of dollars on room and board! ;)


After about three years or so of using Instagram off and on, I have decided once and for all to say goodbye to this social media platform. While I did enjoy using Instagram for keeping up with people and sharing my artwork, photos, and bookish ramblings, the cons far outweighed the pros of using this app. (I actually wrote down a list of pros and cons for using Instagram, and had only 5 positive aspects, with 9 negative ones!)

The biggest reason why I decided to delete my Instagram account was because it became such a huge distraction for me. It took up far too much of my time, and I hated how after I posted something, I would find myself almost obsessively checking my phone to see if anyone had liked or commented on my photo. Even the positive aspect of being able to share my artwork had a negative side, because it could quickly become self-centered.

I also disliked how easily I could fall into the comparison trap by using Instagram. By looking at other people's lives as they appear on social media, I could start feeling like my own life and talents were inadequate. I was just tired of putting too much value and emphasis on my online presentation of myself, and of "living" through Instagram rather than embracing this beautiful life that I've been given.

While I do think that social media can be used for good, I don't believe Instagram was a healthy thing for me personally. And now that I've deleted my account, I already feel freer because I have one less thing vying for my attention!


I am almost done rereading Persuasion for a scholarship being offered through the the Jane Austen Society of North America (the essay prompt is about that particular novel, which is right up my alley!). I don't think I'll ever tire of Austen's beautiful, witty writing. <3

After this, I'm planning to finally start reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy! I've read The Hobbit twice and I love it, but for some reason I have yet to read the actual series. All that is about to change, however, because I plan to start The Fellowship of the Ring as soon as I finish up Persuasion. I've got the whole trilogy borrowed from the library on my Kindle, ready to go! ;)


Well, I think that's about it for this rather random post. Now I'm off to go catch up on reading some blog posts! (Does anyone else feel bad when you write a post but haven't read or commented on anyone else's recent posts? Or is that just me?)

Have a wonderful day!
Much love, 
Molly

P.S. If you're curious, the photos in this post were taken at Colonial Williamsburg and Luray, Virginia, aka two of my favorite places! :)

Comments

  1. This was a lovely post. So good to hear from you, Molly! :)

    I'm so glad you found a course of study in college that really excites you! It sounds like it's going to be a great fit for you!

    What you said about instagram, wow. I can relate. Not in regards to instagram particularly--as I've never had it--but those same sort of things happen to me with blogging sometimes. It really is FAR too easy to compare ourselves to others, as well as to slip into letting social media sort of run our lives. It's definitely a balancing act.

    You're reading Persuasion? How fun! Jane Austen for the win!!! :D Oh, and I'm so glad you're going to read The Lord of the Rings. I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

    "(Does anyone else feel bad when you write a post but haven't read or commented on anyone else's recent posts? Or is that just me?)" *coughcough* It's definitely not just you. Honestly, I feel like I'm constantly feeling bad about not commenting on other people's posts. It's just so hard to keep up with everything and once I get behind, it's SUPER overwhemling trying to get caught back up again. Don't put pressure on yourself. I'm sure everyone understands if you miss some posts because honestly! no one can comment on every single post!! That's impossible. So don't feel bad. And don't feel like you have to go back and catch up on ALL the posts. Just comment when you have time and when there's something you really want to comment on.

    ~Miss March

    P.S. The pictures in this post are gorgeous!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Miss March!

      Yes, I am so excited. Thank you, dear! :)

      You are so right; blogging can prove to be just as much as a challenge sometimes as social media platforms like Instagram. I know I've had moments before where I found myself comparing myself to other bloggers, and I just had to step away for a while and take a break. I think that's the best thing to do sometimes! :)

      Haha! Jane Austen for the win, indeed! ;) I just started the Fellowship of the Ring yesterday, and I can't wait to get further into it! I really like the movies, so I'm sure I'll love the books even more.

      I'm so glad you can relate, and thanks for your sweet words of advice! It really can be very overwhelming when I've gone a couple of weeks without blogging, and I have like, 20 posts to catch up on! But when that happens, it's good to remember, like you said, that you don't have to read/comment on every single post. :)

      Thank you so much for your sweet comment, Miss March! And I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. :D

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy reading your well-written blog posts! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Dad! I'm glad you enjoyed this. I definitely plan to keep on blogging! :D

      Delete
  3. This is such a lovely post! It sounds like you had a great time at the concert!

    That's awesome how you decided what you are going to study in college. :) It sounds like it will be fun! I understand how it is when deciding what to major in; it can be stressful. I'm still deciding myself!

    The comparison trap! It is so easy to fall into as I have too. You will be missed! ;)

    I'm currently reading Persuasion. Ahh, it's so good! <3 I haven't read The Lord of the Rings or seen the movies, but I've heard they're really good.

    -Danielle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Danielle! Yes, I had such a great time. :)

      Thank you! I'm pretty excited. God truly did lead me to find this program at just the right time. <3 Yes, it really is so difficult to pick the ONE interest that you want to pursue above all others! I've had to try and remind myself often that it's okay to not have all of my college plans figured out perfectly just yet, because even though I don't, God certainly does! I hope everything goes well with your decision. :)

      Aww, thank you dear! I'll miss being able to see everyone's posts on Instagram, but I'm glad you understand. :D

      Oh yay, that's so exciting that you're reading Persuasion! I'm glad your enjoying it. :) I'm loving the LotR trilogy so far! I'm on the first book right now, The Fellowship, and I'm really enjoying it. The movies are awesome, too! My family actually watched them this past week for the first time in a looong time. :D

      Thanks so much for your comment, Danielle!

      Delete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad that you found what you are going to do for college! It sounds just right for you. :D

    I understand completely about deleting your Instagram account. I have had to do things like that, just because it was causing my worry and frustration.

    I'm so glad you are doing well! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, dear! I'm quite excited, because it really is right up my alley! :D

      I'm glad you understand! Overall I'm glad I've decided to get rid of it, because it really has freed up my time so much.

      Thank you so much, MC! I hope that you're doing well, too. <3

      Delete
  5. Graphic Arts sounds absolutely perfect for you!!! I'm glad you found something that made you feel excited!

    Oh goodness yes, I can relate to that Instagram thing so much. I deleted the app for a few days to get out of the habit of mindlessly clicking on it and mindlessly scrolling through it. I did reinstall it for my photography business account and my P&P memes page (in my last post) but I totally agree, it's way too easy to waste time, and also yes, it's so easy to look at all those "perfect people" and feel inferior and inadequate!

    Hey, me too! I'm actually in the middle of the second LotR book. I've also read The Hobbit twice and decided it was time to read the trilogy! You'll have to let me know how you like it; I confess I find it a little slow and VERY full of adventure and men and lacking in women and romance (which I expected, but, you know, not exactly my FAVOURITE category of book :D). I like it, though!

    "(Does anyone else feel bad when you write a post but haven't read or commented on anyone else's recent posts? Or is that just me?)" <==I totally feel that way. But don't stress too much about it! We all understand I think, and I've been very behind too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Rae! <3

      I'm so glad you can relate. "Mindlessly clicking on it and mindlessly scrolling through it" is exactly what I would do, and one of the biggest reasons I just had to get rid of it once and for all. I think that's great though that you're using it for your photography business! And that P&P memes page sounds delightful; I shall have to visit it on my computer from time to time! ;)

      That's so cool that we're reading the LotR trilogy at the same time! I'm currently halfway through The Fellowship of the Ring, and I'm realllllly enjoying it so far! I've been reading it pretty much every chance I get. :) You're right, there's definitely lots of adventure and men--quite the opposite of Jane Austen novels and the Anne series!--, but I enjoy fantasy novels like that, if it's the right kind. Do let me know how you end up liking the series! :D

      Haha thanks, I'm glad you understand! :) And thanks so much for your comment, Rae!

      Delete
  6. These pictures are beautiful!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Evangeline! I'm so happy you like them. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love comments as much as Anne Shirley loves Octobers. (In other words, they're one of my favorite things!) Just be sure to click the "Notify Me" button, as I try my best to respond to every comment! Thank you. :)