My Thoughts on Little Women 2017


When I first heard that there was going to be a new adaptation of Little Women, I'll admit I was a bit skeptical of the idea. But when I saw that it was available for free streaming on the PBS website, I decided to give it a try anyways, and resolved not to judge it until I had seen it!

Well, I just recently finished watching it, and I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised! I actually really, really enjoyed this adaptation of Louisa May Alcott's novel. Rather than being a darker, grittier take on the story, a la "Anne with an E" (ugh), this was a fresh, lighthearted, hopeful adaptation that faithfully captured the heart of the novel. I truly thought it was beautifully done, with an excellent cast, gorgeous costumes, and lush sets.

So while it's still fresh on my mind, I thought I would do a little "review" of this mini-series, and share what I loved about it, as well as what I thought could have been better. I hope you'll enjoy!

Warning: There will be some spoilers ahead, so keep that in mind!


First of all, the overall aesthetic of this miniseries was just stunning. From the absolutely beautiful costumes, to the gorgeous sets and scenery, I seriously wouldn't mind living in this period drama! ;)

Now, I do have to say that the soundtrack was a bit of an odd choice. Most of the time, the music didn't seem to fit the time period of the story, but this didn't really detract from my overall enjoyment of the film. (I mean, it would have been hard to outdo the soundtrack from the 1994 adaptation, anyways!)


And now, onto the characters! I thought that Maya Hawke did an excellent job at portraying Jo March, especially considering that this was her first official acting role. I think she perfectly captured Jo's energy, passion, enthusiasm, and fierce love for the people and things in her life. Willa Fitzgerald did such a wonderful job at bringing Meg's sweet, gentle, and romantic personality to life, and Annes Elwy was so lovely as timid, sweet, selfless Beth. And Amy was...well, she was Amy! Rather self-absorbed and irksome at the beginning, yes, but better as the story progressed. The scene where she danced with Beth at Meg's wedding, and then tenderly led Beth to a seat because she was too tired, definitely made me like her more. (And while I do have to agree that Kathryn Newton looks a bit older than the age that Amy is during the first half of the story, I like that they didn't switch actresses midway through the movie.)


Jonah Hauer-King did such a great job as Laurie, and I have to agree with what someone else said: he definitely gave me some Jonathan Crombie vibes! <3

I also think this adaptation did a great job at showing how even though Jo and Laurie were wonderful as close friends, they definitely wouldn't have worked as a couple. (Yes, I've amended my previous statement where I said that I wish Jo and Laurie had ended up together. I have since come to my senses, and realize now that Jo and Professor Bhaer are far better suited for one another!)


Another thing that I love about this version is the emphasis that is given to Meg and John Brooke's relationship! Their proposal scene was so precious, and the wedding was beautiful. These two truly do make such a sweet pair. <3


I also liked the Professor Bhaer in this adaptation much better than in the 1994 version. I don't know, I just found this portrayal of him more...likable, I guess! And the scene "under the umbrella" was so sweet. :)


And now, I'm just going to list out some random things that I loved about this adaptation!

  • Emily Watson did a lovely job as Marmee. The scene where she realizes that Beth really is dying is so heartwrenching and raw.
  • I really like how this version includes so many scenes from the book that weren't in the '94 version: Meg's attempt at making jam; Laurie, Jo, Meg, and Amy building a snowman for Beth; Jo and Beth's trip to the sea; and so much more.
  • This scene, and oh, the song that's played during it! So, so very beautiful.
  • I love how each of the four March sisters are given an equal focus; their unique personalities are really able to shine through because they all have their fair share in the story (just like in the book!).
  • All of the flowers and kittens and pastel colors and snowy Christmas scenes.
  • Meg watching John as he heads off to war. 

Overall, I really, really loved this adaptation of Little Women. Of course, it had its flaws, and there were parts where it strayed from the book, but then, the same could be said of the other versions! I think it did an excellent job at bringing this beloved story to life, and I definitely recommend that you give it a try. I can't wait until I receive my copy in the mail so that I can watch it all over again! :)

Much love,
Molly <3

P.S. You can watch two of the three episodes in high quality here on the PBS site through June 3rd. The clock is ticking, though, so don't hesitate! :)

Comments

  1. Ah, I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed this adaption of Little Women too, dear Molly! I loved it for so many reasons...in fact, I also just posted my Little Women review! {{smiles}} I loved the pictures you shared in this post... I think I need to watch this miniseries again!
    Blessings to you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you enjoyed this post, Kelly-Anne! And I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed this delightful period drama, too. What a coincidence that we both happened to share our reviews at the same time! I read your post, too, and you did an excellent job at reviewing this miniseries. <3
      Thanks so much for your sweet comment, dear! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm skeptical as well... but I know you were open about your skepticism during the Little Women blog party, so the fact that you actually thought it worth watching is now very intriguing to me, haha :). Also, it sounds like they added a lot of the little "fun" parts, so that's really neat. Hmmmm.... I'll have to see if I can get a hold of it!!!
    I have a question I wanted to ask you... I started up a little blog for my Etsy shop this year. It's terribly small, I haven't done much on it yet and I don't have followers (yet!) although I have had a few views, but I am really wanting to grow it, and part of what I would like to include is interviews with other Etsy sellers, and I was wondering it you would be interested in that, because I know you have an Etsy shop :)? It's just something to think of, you don't have to, of course!
    Many blessings in Christ,
    Bri <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say just give it a try if you get the chance! It has its flaws, of course, but you never know if you may end up enjoying it just like I did. :D And yes, I did appreciate the fact that they included fun scenes from the book that weren't in the 1994 version!

      Ooh yes, I absolutely love that idea, Bri! How exciting that you've started a blog for your Etsy shop; I would be honored to do a little interview on there sometime! Just let me know when. <3

      Thanks for your sweet comment, dear!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love comments as much as Anne Shirley loves Octobers. (In other words, they're one of my favorite things!) Just be sure to click the "Notify Me" button, as I try my best to respond to every comment! Thank you. :)