My College Bookshelf

Well, I have officially made it through my first week of college classes! Overall, I would say things have been going quite well, and I'm so grateful for this exciting new experience. My classes haven't been too intense (yet, that is; I'm sure that will change pretty soon!), my roommates are all very nice, the campus is beautiful and quaint, and I've already made a few sweet friends and had some fun adventures. Of course, I do miss home and my family terribly, but I'm so glad that my college is close enough to make weekend trips back home possible! In fact, I'm writing this from home right now, as I came back for Labor Day weekend. :)

Now, let's get onto the real purpose of this post! So, I remember last year my sweet friend Abby did a post about the books she brought with her to college (you can find it here). I loved the idea so much that I wanted to share what's on my college bookshelf! Deciding which books to bring with me was not an easy task, as you can imagine, but I'm quite happy with what I chose to bring along with me. Having some of my favorite stories in my dorm bedroom definitely makes it feel more like home. :)

  • Of course, I absolutely had to bring some Jane Austen with me! I limited myself and only brought the ones that I thought I might want to reread in the near future: Pride and Prejudice and Emma, which also happen to be my favorite JA novels. <3
  • Jane of Austin by Hillary Manton Lodge. I really love this book and brought it along with me just in case I ever have time to reread it!
  • Love Your God With All Your Mind by J.P. Morland. This was a graduation gift from my church's worship pastor. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but I hope to do so soon! It's all about knowing why we believe what we believe as Christians.
  • Classic Colouring: Jane Austen. I'm glad I have my Jane Austen coloring book on hand for whenever I want to feel semi-productive while watching a movie or show in my free-time (if there is such a thing in college)! ;)
  • A Hobbit Devotional. I thoroughly enjoyed this devotional, and I highly recommend it to fans of Tolkien! The author relates stories from The Hobbit to Scripture in amazing ways; I got so much out of this book.
  • A Jane Austen Devotional. Again, I adore this devotional and can't recommend it enough. It is so well-done, and I've learned so much from it. To quote Kathleen Kelly from You've Got Mail, "Read it! I know you'll love it."
  • The Jane Austen Handbook. As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that about 80% of my college bookshelf is comprised of Jane Austen's novels and things inspired by her works! But what can I say? She really is my favorite author. :) Anywho, I brought this along because it's such a fun "handbook" to Regency-era life! It features such cute illustrations, too.
  • The Anne of Green Gables series. At first, I planned on only taking a few of the Anne books. But a few days before I left, I decided I just couldn't leave this beloved series behind! Even though I know I won't be reading all of these while at college (as much as I wish I could!), it's so nice to have them sitting on my shelf for whenever I want to gaze at the gorgeous covers and flip through the pages.
  • Emily of New Moon and Emily Climbs. I've already read the first book in this trio, but I still need to read the last two! Maybe between my schoolwork, I can find the time to read Emily Climbs. While I can't say I like these books as much as AoGG, I still want to give them a chance.
  • Belle's Library. This is a cute book, designed as if it's Belle from Beauty and the Beast's literary journal. I love the cute watercolor doodles that are on each page.
  • The Art of Tangled. This is such a beautiful book that I received a couple of Christmases ago! It's filled with concept art from my favorite Disney film, Tangled.
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. This is a new addition, as I just purchased it yesterday! I watched the new Netflix film a few days ago, and loved it so much that I just had to read the book as soon as possible! So far, I am very much enjoying it. :)

Well, it's rather late, so I will wrap up this post here. I hope you've enjoyed it!

If you're in college, what's on your bookshelf?
If you're not, what books would you choose to take with you?

Love,
Molly

P.S. Would you be interested in a post in which I share pictures of my dorm decor? Do let me know in the comments! <3

Comments

  1. I love the fact that you carry some of your books with you! I'm sure it provides a neat sense of "home away from home". Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that we have the same top two JA novels! Also, I bought Jane of Austin recently because of your glowing review, but I haven't read it yet (still working on LotR in addition to college readings). I have that Jane Austen Devotional, and I loved it, too.

    You know I adore Guernsey. Sadly, however, this girl does not have Netflix, so I have yet to figure out a way to see the movie. :/

    A dorm decor post would be fabulous! Looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! We're kindred spirits, indeed, then. ;) Oh cool! I hope you enjoy Jane of Austin whenever you get around to reading it.

      Aw no, that's too bad! Hopefully it'll be released elsewhere soon. It's sooo good!

      Oh yay! I'll have to set to work on that post soon, then. :)

      Delete
  3. Loves this post Molly!!

    Yes, one can never have to much Jane Austen ;)

    Oohh You're reading the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society!!! It's suuuuuuch a good book!! And the movie was just as lovely! <3

    I'd love a dorm decor post!! 'Twould be quite lovely :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Miss Woodhouse! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Yes, exactly! There's just no such thing.

      I am indeed, and I'm enjoying it so much! I'm almost done with it, actually. It's such a cute, quirky, witty read! Glad you enjoyed the movie, too. :D

      Yay! I will definitely do one, then.

      Delete
  4. First of all, YES I'd love to see how your dorm is decorated! Your bookshelf sounds quite wonderful, especially with all the Jane Austen. :) I had no idea they made a devotion book inspired by her! Anyway, it seems like you'll have plenty of "comfort books" between homework. And haha yes, there will be free time! You've just got to make some for yourself. I totally understand that feeling of being semi-productive when coloring and watching movies. :) Does your campus have a good library?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I will definitely start working on a dorm decor post soon, then. :)

      Why thank you! And yes, the devotional book is so good! I definitely recommend it. It's not cheesy or anything, and it really has some great Scriptural applications in it. :)

      Yes, "comfort books" is the perfect way to describe what I have on my shelf!

      Haha, I'm glad to hear that there is such a thing as free-time in college! :)

      We do have a pretty nice library! I mean, from what I've seen, there isn't a huge selection of newer fiction; a lot of it is school-related books and classic literature (which is still nice!). But it's definitely a great spot for studying and tackling homework. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love comments as much as Anne Shirley loves Octobers. (In other words, they're one of my favorite things!) Just be sure to click the "Notify Me" button, as I try my best to respond to every comment! Thank you. :)