Ask Me Anything - My Answers!

'Tis time for the answers to the questions you all asked me on my "Ask Me Anything" post a couple of weeks ago! I'm just going to jump right into them, since this post will likely end up being a bit long anyways. :)

Rae Asks...

How many siblings do you have?

I have three wonderful siblings--one younger brother, and two little sisters. There is scarcely ever a dull moment in our house! ;P

What's your favourite season AND why?

Autumn/fall, for several reasons. The trees during this time of year are just gorgeous, all decked out in their various hues of red, yellow, and orange, and the weather (at least where I live) is wonderful--not too hot and not too cold! I also love being able to wear my sweaters and scarves (of which I have an abundance), sip hot chocolate in the evenings, and hear the leaves crunching beneath my shoes when I go for walks. Autumn just seems like such a festive, cozy time of year as well, what with Thanksgiving, and Christmas fast approaching. Plus, my birthday is in fall, so perhaps I'm a little biased towards this season. ;)


I took this picture last year on my birthday at--you guessed it!--Colonial Williamsburg.

What are some of your "hidden talents", the ones that people don't really notice but you have a gift for?

I'd like to think that I do a pretty good job at cooking and baking, and it's something that I don't think many people know about me. (Although I'm not sure that it involves much talent on my part; I mostly just follow other people's recipes!)

In your opinion, who is the handsomest period drama hero? (Ha. Ha. Easy, right?)

Oh, Rae, why must you ask me such a difficult question?! 

Alright, alright, I think I've decided...I'm going to have to go with Gilbert Blythe. Shocker, right? ;P
He's just so sweet, adorable, and very handsome, in my opinion.
Michaila Asks...

What is your all-time favorite Jane Austen book chapter?

What a fun question! Can I pick two instead of just one? I can? Well, thank you! ;) *pulls JA novels off bookshelf and starts flipping through them*

Okay, first is Vol. Three, Chapter 16 in Pride and Prejudice. This is where Mr. Darcy proposes to Lizzy for the second time, she accepts, and then they overcome all their former misunderstandings. I especially love this line from Mr. Darcy in this chapter:

"'You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject forever.'"

Oh, and I can't forget the part where he calls Lizzy "dearest, loveliest Elizabeth"! 


I've totally used this picture on my blog before, but it's so cute that it deserves to make another appearance. ;)

My other favorite would have to be Vol. Three, Chapter Thirteen of Emma, in which Mr. Knightley proposes! Oh, this is such a sweet chapter. Here are a couple of my favorite lines from it:

"'My dearest Emma,' said he, 'for dearest you will always be, whatever the event of this hour's conversation, my dearest, most beloved Emma--tell me at once. Say "No," if it is to be said.'--She could really say nothing.--'You are silent,' he cried, with great animation; 'absolutely silent! at present I ask no more.'"

"'I cannot make speeches, Emma:' he soon resumed; and in a tone of such sincere, decided, intelligible tenderness as was tolerably convincing.--'If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about more. But you know what I am.--You hear nothing but truth from me.--I have blamed you, and lectured you, and you have borne it as no other woman in England would have borne it.--Bear with the truths I would tell you now, dearest Emma, as well as you have borne with them.'"

Elanor Asks...

What's your favorite place in Disney World? 

Magic Kingdom, definitely! 

I took this photo on our most recent trip to Walt Disney World, in May of last year. :)
Who is your fashion icon?

Hmm... I can't really say that there's any one person whose style I keep up with. Instead, most of my style inspiration just comes from various fashion bloggers and, of course, Pinterest. :)

What's your favorite movie of all time?

My favorite movie of all time?! I don't know if I can choose just one, so I think I shall list my top three faves instead: Emma 2009, P&P 1995, Anne of Green Gables. (Okay, technically those are mini-series, but oh well!)

What is your greatest strength?

I'd like to think that I'm good at sticking with something once I set my mind to it, in most cases. ;) I'm also not a huge procrastinator; if there's something that needs to get done, I like to work on it as soon as I can, or else it hangs over my head. (Unless we're talking about schoolwork; then I can tend to be a very good procrastinator!)

Are you more of a country girl or a city girl?

I am definitely more of a country girl! I think I would choose a nice house surrounded by trees and fields over an apartment in a big city any day. I do enjoy visiting large, bustling cities for the sightseeing and shopping, but I wouldn't want to live in one. I realized this all the more after visiting New York City; I had a wonderful time, but I was so glad to see trees and greenery once again on the way back home! 

Have you read all of Jane Austen's novels yet? Which is your favorite?

I have read all of her six major novels except for Mansfield Park, which I am currently reading for the first time. As for my favorite, I'm torn between P&P and Emma, because both are just so, so good!! However, I think I'm going to go with Emma this time. I'm just in an Emma sort of mood at the moment, after watching the first two episodes of the 2009 adaptation again last night. ;)

Also, while we're on the topic of Emma, I just feel like saying that Mr. Knightley has officially become my favorite Jane Austen hero! I've always been torn between him, Mr. Darcy, and Mr. Tilney, but after re-reading Emma earlier this year, he's definitely moved up to the top of my list. He's such a sweet, caring, honorable, funny character, and I love him.


MovieCritic Asks...

What is your favorite animal?

Okay, so I'm really not much of an animal person (does that make me sound heartless?), but I do rather like cats. My family has two (one of which is named Gilbert--can you guess as to whether or not I had a hand in choosing that name?), and they are both very sweet, although they do a pretty good job at getting on my nerves every now and then, too! ;P


Here's a cute picture of Gilbert from when he was a kitten, all sprawled out on my JA coloring book.
What is your favorite song?

I'm not sure I have one particular favorite song, but one that I really like is "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing" from White Christmas. It's my favorite song (and scene) from the movie!



What song do you have stuck in your head right now? 

Now it's "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing!" Haha.

What is your favorite (Not Jane Austen) movie?

How about I shake things up a bit and tell you my favorite Disney movie? It's Tangled. :)

Drawing or writing?

Drawing, definitely. While I do enjoy writing, I don't love it nearly as much as I do drawing (and I don't believe I'm as good at it, either!). 

Here's a sketch I did the other day of Emma, based on this photo.  

Favorite Anne of Green Gables book?

Anne of the Island is probably my favorite of the bunch. I love reading about Anne's college experiences, and the ending is just perf. I also really, really love Rilla of Ingleside, and of course, Anne of Green Gables.

Favorite Bible verse?

I have so many, so I'll just give you one of them:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths." - Proverbs 3:5

I just love this verse. It's so encouraging, and an excellent reminder to rely on God's strength and wisdom instead of our own!

Rachel Asks...

What's your favourite Jane Austen movie?

When I've answered this question before on tags, I've always said Pride and Prejudice 1995, but now I think it's actually Emma 2009. It's just so bright and cheerful, what with the gorgeous costumes and the amazing soundtrack (which is sadly no longer on Spotify! *sobs*). I love Romola Garai's portrayal of Emma, and Jonny Lee Miller is awesome as Mr. Knightley.


I wonder how many times I'm going to use Emma 2009 in my answers before the end of this post... ;)

Where would you rather live, on a farm in the country or in a big house in England?

Probably a big house in England, because it would likely be surrounded by gorgeous countryside, anyways. More specifically, I'd like to live at Pemberley, or Hartfield, or somewhere like that. ;P

Who's your favourite actress?

I don't really keep up with any actors or actresses, so I wouldn't really say I have a favorite. However, I do like Megan Follows for her portrayal of Anne Shirley, and Romola Garai for her portrayal of Emma. I haven't seem them in anything else, though!

Who's your favourite actor?

Hmm... Let's go with Jimmy Stewart. He was such a great actor, in my opinion!



Favourite ice cream flavour?

Vanilla bean, preferably in an ice cream cone!

If you could travel back in time, where would you go?


Maybe the forties or fifties. Or the Regency era. Both would be pretty great (for a little while, that is; I think I'd probably start to miss some of the modern conveniences that we enjoy today!).

What's your favourite Period Drama couple? (pick at least five)

Oh, good, I can pick several! Let's see... (These are going to be in no particular order, and none of them will likely come as a surprise to you!)


Anne and Gilbert


Emma and Mr. Knightley


Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy


Catherine and Mr. Tilney


Jane and Mr. Bingley

Do you have any brothers and sisters? (If it is too personal, I understand)

I do, indeed! One younger brother, and two little sisters.

Favourite movie quote?


I've never really thought about this before! Hmm... I do love the quote below from Northanger Abbey 2007. It cracks me up every time!



Which country would you love to visit?

Canada, specifically Prince Edward Island.

Horse or donkey? (silly question, I know)



A horse, definitely. :)

If you could meet anyone, who would that be?


All of you lovely readers! Seriously though, that would be amazing.

Mr Darcy or Gilbert Blythe?

Wait, I have to choose between them?! Why, that's preposterous!

Ha, just kidding. Honestly, as much as I love Mr. Darcy, I think Gilbert Blythe is much more like the type of guy that I'd probably fall for. He's sweet, funny, smart, caring, thoughtful, hardworking...you get the picture!
Alright, that's all! If you've actually read all the way to the end of this post, thank you!!! I feel as though my answers were pretty repetitive, but I hope you've enjoyed this post nonetheless. :)

-Molly

Comments

  1. First off, wow! You are a fantastic artist! I love looking at your Etsy store and your pintrest pages!
    Second, wow, I really need to see Emma 2009. I think Emma 1996 (Gweneth Paltrow) will always be my favorite for nostalgia reasons, but 2009 looks good too!
    Thridly, which I probably should have listed first (P&P will always be my favorite Jane Austen) great answers!

    Jimmy Stewart!!

    When I was little that was my favorite part of White Christmas, too! It still holds a special place in my heart. :)

    Aw, that kitten is so cute!!

    I really like that verse, good pick!

    Once again, great answers, Molly! I loved learning about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much MovieCritic! That is so sweet of you to say. :)

      YES, you definitely need to watch Emma 2009!! I still do like the version with Gwyneth Paltrow, but the newer version is by far my favorite. It does a great job at following the book, and suffice to say, it is just amazing!

      Right?! He's so good.

      It is such a wonderful scene! My favorite part is when they dance on top of the boat. :)

      He is a very cute cat, and such a sweetie, too! Well, most of the time. ;P

      I know, it's such a beautiful verse!

      Thank you so much for commenting, MovieCritic! I'm so glad that you enjoyed this post. :D

      Delete
    2. Also, thanks so much for the questions you asked me, MovieCritic! :D

      Delete
  2. LOVE both of the chapters you picked--some of my favorites as well <3 <3

    Your three favorite movies are mine, too!:D And, just so you know, Mr. Knightley is miiiinnne. ;P (Mr. Darcy and Mr. Tilney are my other fav Jane Austen heroes, too, though, what a coincidence.)

    Ohmigoodness, Gilbert is adorable. (Love the name...after a certain handsome Dr. Blythe, I presume?) I'm actually not really a 'cat person', but cats can be super cute. Gilbert is one of those. Plus, he seems to have good taste in coloring books. :)

    Wow. I wish I had your drawing skills. You are seriously talented!

    Of course, I love the period drama couples you chose. Some of my favorites, as well. Love them <3 And that is one of the best Northanger Abbey quotes! Great choice! :D

    Oh, I dream of visiting P.E.I. We were actually planning to go this coming summer (2018), but...we've encountered some issues and it is now safe to say that trip is postponed :/

    Oh, that is hard! I think you answered well, though, in choosing Gil over Darcy. I'd probably have to agree in the end...idk, I love them both.

    Anyway. I did enjoy this post, Molly! (If you can't tell by my super long comment, haha.) It was nice getting to know you better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I could read both of those chapters over and over. (Okay, let's be real; I could read the entire books over and over!). ;)

      How cool that we have the same three favorite movies, and Jane Austen heroes! And nooo, Mr Knightley is mine!! ;P

      Gilbert certainly is a cutie, and very sweet! And yes, you guessed correctly as to who he is named after! ;) I wouldn't call myself a huge cat person either, but I do really like them...except for when I'm reading, or doing schoolwork, and they walk all over my books trying to get me to pet them! Haha. :P

      Aww, thank you so much, Elanor! That is so sweet of you. :)

      I love being asked who my favorite period drama couples are, because then I have an excuse to use adorable pictures of them! (But then, does one ever really need an excuse for that? Haha.) And yes, that Northanger Abbey quote is just awesome! :D

      Aww, that's too bad that your PEI trip was postponed! I hope you'll still be able to visit there sometime soon. :)

      I know, right?! It was such a difficult choice, because I love them both!

      Thanks so much for your lovely comment, Elanor! I'm so glad that you enjoyed reading this post, and thanks for the questions you asked me!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this post so much! My answers are pretty much the same as yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm so happy that you enjoyed it! I'm glad to hear that you agree with so many of my answers. :)
      Thanks for your comment, Danielle Marie!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Aww thanks! It's honestly just the result of lots of tweaking and experimenting. I'm glad you like it! :)

      Delete
  5. That's my favorite chapter in Emma! I remember being in a fuzzy state of mind after reading it :D I thought the same thing when I read Northanger Abbey...it sort of just happened.

    Lovely post!
    Michaila
    seventytimeseven.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is the best chapter in the book, in my opinion, and it definitely gives one all the warm fuzzies! ;)
      I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt like Northanger Abbey needed a proposal scene! I mean, I love it anyways, but I definitely wouldn't mind if there was one. :)
      Thanks for your comment, Michaila!

      Delete
  6. I believe I'm rather late, so sorry.

    YES, I love autumn for the leaves and sweaters and scarves and ALL THAT, just YES.
    That's awesome! I love cooking and baking too.
    Mmm, good choice. I know, it was rather difficult I daresay. :D

    I LOVE those chapters!!! Love, love love.

    Emma 2009, P&P 95, and AoGG--yes, yes, yes.
    Haha, I LOVE how much Emma is in this post. :D

    Oh same here, I'm not the biggest animal person. But I do like cats. I had to leave two behind when we moved and my mom doesn't want more. :( :( I love the name, though. :D
    Oh wow that's an amazing drawing of Emma!!!
    Anne of the Island...It's a close second to Rilla but yes, I love it!!! Sooo good.

    Ooh, I can't blame you for bumping Emma 2009 above P&P 95. It's a close second for me; it's SOOOO good.
    I love the 40s, 50s, and Regency era!! I think those would be my choice too.
    EXCELLENT CHOICES FOR COUPLES. 110% AGREE.
    Hahaha, I love that quote.
    Yes to PEI. Let's go. :D
    Yes, I agree that Gilbert's more the type of person I'd fall in love with in real life. Mr. Darcy is Mr. Darcy, but Gilbert is, well, all that you said. :D

    I loved reading this!!! You are SUCH a kindred spirit, Molly!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Rae, you're not late at all! :)

      I'm glad you agree about autumn! It's truly such a beautiful season.
      Yes, it was certainly very difficult! There are just so many handsome period drama heroes to choose from. ;)

      Yes, aren't they great? Jane Austen really knew how to write sweet, happy endings for her characters. :)

      Haha yes, I'm afraid I used Emma in my answers an insane amount of times, but it's just that good!

      Aww, I'm sorry to hear that you had to leave your two cats behind. :( But I'm glad you like Gilbert's name! I'm pretty happy that my family went along with naming him after Gilbert Blythe, haha.
      Thank you so much!
      Right?! It is soo hard to pick a favorite out of the Anne books, but those two are definitely at the top of my list.

      Emma 2009 and P&P 1995 are both so good that I can hardly say which I like better! I think it just depends on whichever one I've watched most recently, haha.
      SO glad you agree with the couples I picked! They're all so adorable, aren't they?
      I know, right? It's so funny.

      They are so hard to choose between, but in the end Gilbert would definitely have to be my fav. I'm glad you agree!

      I'm glad you enjoyed this post, Rae, and thank you SOO much for your comment! You are most definitely a kindred spirit, too! <3

      Oh, and thanks for the questions you asked me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love comments as much as Anne Shirley loves Octobers. (In other words, they're one of my favorite things!) Just be sure to click the "Notify Me" button, as I try my best to respond to every comment! Thank you. :)