My Thoughts on Persuasion by Jane Austen

Of Jane Austen's six major novels, there are two that it's taken me forever to finally get around to reading: Mansfield Park and Persuasion. This is probably due to the fact that I keep rereading Pride and Prejudice and Emma when I could be reading new books (can you blame me, though?), but anyways.... About a month ago, I finished reading Persuasion for the very first time, and oh my goodness you guys, it was amazing! I had already heard many good things about it, and I wasn't at all disappointed. I only wish that I had read it sooner!

So in order to give myself a chance to rave about this lovely novel for a bit, I thought I'd put together a quick post in which I share my thoughts on it! This isn't going to be a review or anything, because I'm too lazy for that, but rather just a list of what I liked about it and such. Sound good?

Also, there will likely be some spoilers ahead, so keep that in mind if you haven't read Persuasion yet!


Okay, first things first, let's talk about the main characters. I shall start with the heroine, Anne Elliot. At twenty-seven, she is the oldest of Jane Austen's heroines, and is therefore a bit more mature than some of the others. I have to say that I really, really like Anne! All throughout the book, she proves to be such a kind, caring sister and friend. She's wise, practical, very good-natured, but unfortunately, underappreciated by her family. I truly feel for Anne because of how unkindly her father and older sister treat her, but admire her all the more for the patience and kindness that she shows them anyways.

Next, of course, is Captain Wentworth. Despite the fact that he behaves rather resentfully towards Anne upon their first being reacquainted (I mean, I get that she really hurt him when she refused him eight years before, but still!), throughout the course of the novel he is shown to be very kind and gentlemanly. Not to mention the fact that he is a wonderful letter-writer! Which brings me to my next point...


THE LETTER! If you've read Persuasion, then you'll know that I'm talking about the letter in which Captain Wentworth tells Anne, in such beautiful language, that his love for her is as strong as ever. When I read this part in the book, I seriously had a huge grin on my face the entire time! It's just so sweet. Here's a little excerpt from it (you're welcome!):

"You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan."

*swoon*


Overall, Persuasion is a wonderfully-written, heartwarming story about a beautiful, constant, and enduring love. Of course, one can't help wishing that Anne had never been persuaded into breaking off her engagement with Captain Wentworth eight years earlier, so that they could have avoided the resulting years of separation and pain. However, it just makes it all the more beautiful when Anne and Captain Wentworth finally end up together, and I think because of it they will treasure each other all the more.

If you've read Persuasion, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it! And if you haven't, I hope that this post has maybe convinced you to give it a read soon; it's truly a wonderful read, and I highly recommend it!

-Molly 

P.S. I know I'm a tad late, but I hope all of my fellow American readers had a happy Thanksgiving! :) Now it's officially acceptable to get into the Christmas spirit (although I must be honest: I've been listening to Christmas music for quite some time now!). I can't wait to start planning out some Christmassy posts to celebrate this wonderful time of year.

P.P.S. I just finished watching North and South (2004) for the first time, and overall I thought it was really good! Ever since then I've been listening to this song on repeat, literally; it's just beautiful. :)

Comments

  1. Ahhh I need to read Persuasion!! It sounds so good! :) And oh my goodness, North and South is amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great read! I really enjoyed it. :)

      Right?! It was so, so good! I loved it. <3

      Delete
  2. Loved this! Persuasion is not my favorite Jane Austen, but it is a really good book. Of course, the letter...how beautiful! <3

    And, ugh, I want to see North & South so so so badly! But not one of our FOUR libraries has it:/ It's frustrating because everyone talks about how much they love it, and it makes me want to see it. (Plus, Richard Armitage;))

    Great post, Molly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say it's my favorite JA novel either, but I still really enjoyed it! And yes, the letter is probably my favorite part. ;)

      That's so odd that none of the libraries near you has it! I don't know if you have Netflix, but it is on there; that's how I watched it, actually! It was SO good, and yes, Richard Armitage was rather handsome in it! ;P

      I'm glad you enjoyed this post, Elanor! Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  3. I should read more Jane Austen. I've only read P+P *hides*

    - Lisa
    www.thisinkwell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should definitely read more Jane Austen! Her books are just amazing, in my opinion. P&P is definitely one of my very favorites! :)

      Delete
  4. Ooh, congrats on finishing Persuasion! :) And I'm so glad you like North and South!
    It's been so nice to "legally" listen to Christmas music now that Thanksgiving is over and December is begun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby! It was such a lovely read.
      Yes, North and South was soo good! I really enjoyed it.
      Haha yeah, now we can listen to it whenever without having to feel bad! :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely post, Molly! I enjoyed this so much!

    And yes, Persuasion is a wonderful book. I remember the first time I read it. It gave me such a cozy, comfortable, happy feeling. And was just such a pleasure to read!! Love it. <3 <3

    So. Have you read Mansfield Park yet? I'd love to hear your thoughts are on that one. I used to think of it as boring, but last time I read it I concluded that it's just as good as Jane Austen's other novels. Really love the hero and heroine's relationship in that story, though it IS frustrating that the hero isn't in love with the heroine from the start. (Of course if he was, where would the story be, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Miss March! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :)

      I totally agree! I felt the same way when I finished it.

      Yes, I actually just finished Mansfield Park a few days ago, and I really enjoyed it! I was curious as to how I would like it because I'd heard some people say that it wasn't as good as Jane Austen's other works, and that Fanny wasn't a very interesting heroine, but I'd have to disagree with both of those things. I loved it just as much as her other novels, and I thought Fanny was such a dear. Her relationship with Edmund is definitely sweet, even though, like you said, it's frustrating that he's taken in with Miss Crawford for so long! But yes, if it didn't take him so long to realize he loved Fanny, there probably wouldn't be much of a story. ;)

      Thanks for your comment, Miss March! <3

      Delete
    2. So glad you liked Mansfield Park!! :) And Fanny is an excellent heroine, I agree!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE PERSUASION.
    SO. MUCH.

    THE LETTER!!!! Aaaah, it makes me gasp and squeal and swoon every time.

    Seriously, I love this book so, so, so much. It's perfectly darling and sweet and I just love it.

    (North and South is soooo good! It has its flaws but I like it a lot!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, it was sooo good!

      Right?! The letter is by far my favorite part; it's so adorably sweet.

      Yeah, I definitely agree that North and South has its flaws (namely all the death and violence and the mushy ending), but I still thought it was quite good! Definitely not something I could watch over and over again as I could a JA film, though; it's just not cheerful enough! Haha. :)

      Delete
  7. I finally read Persuasion this year! Like you, that and Mansfield Park were the last ones I got to. This post just sums up my thoughts!! Persuasion is definitely one of my favorites now!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments as much as Anne Shirley loves Octobers. (In other words, they're one of my favorite things!) Just be sure to click the "Notify Me" button, as I try my best to respond to every comment! Thank you. :)