My Finished "Margaret Dashwood Shawl"

Happy November first, everyone! (How in the world is it November already?!) Today I'm super excited to share something that I have been working on for quite some time: the finished product of my Margaret Dashwood shawl!


Emma's expression here perfectly sums up my excitement over finishing this knitting project and being able to share it on here!

In my review of the book "The Best of Jane Austen Knits" that I did at the beginning of this year, I mentioned that I was working on knitting up this lovely Sense and Sensibility inspired shawl. I started knitting it in early January and finished it in mid-July, so it's taken me quite a while. You can imagine then how excited I am to be DONE and able to wear it!

The instructions for this project actually weren't too difficult to follow once I got familiar with the terms and techniques. However, that doesn't at all mean that I never made any careless mistakes, because I certainly did, and quite often! I can't even tell you how many times I had to unravel several rows, or start over completely, because I had messed up. Sometimes it was so frustrating that I felt like giving up, but then the very next day I would be right back at it again; I was determined to finish it!

And aside from the difficulties I faced along the way, I really did enjoy working on this shawl. It gave me something fun and productive to do whilst riding in the car or watching a movie. ;)

So here is what the shawl looks like when worn! And of course, I had to pair with it a maxi skirt in order to feel even more like a Jane Austen heroine. ;)  Here I'm wearing it tied in the back, but it can also be worn loose and draped over the shoulders.

The yarn I used for the shawl was gifted to me by my aunt last Christmas. It is of such nice quality, and I just adore the various colors in it!

Here's a picture of the lace detailing on the hem of the shawl.

Overall, I am so pleased with how this project turned out! It's far from perfect, but hey, that's the beauty of handmade! Or at least that's what I'm telling myself. ;P

Thanks so much for reading!
Molly 

Comments

  1. Good job, Molly! I could never do anything like that! It looks so good on you!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, MovieCritic! That's so sweet of you. :)

      Delete
  2. IT'S BEAUTIFUL!! Great job, Molly! And I love the color. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I LOVE it!!! Super gorgeous, marvellous job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rae!! You are too sweet. :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful. I love the colors. I saw that same shaw in my friend's Jane Austen Knits magazine from several years ago. I guess the book is a compilation of several of the patterns from the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Livia! And yes, "The Best of Jane Austen Knits" is exactly that: a collection of patterns from the magazine! :)

      Delete
  5. I love it! The finished product looks like it was worth the unraveling in the process. What will you be knitting next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Abby! :) Right now, I am working on a simple knitted headband using the leftover yarn from this shawl. I needed something easy after this project!

      Delete
  6. ooooo, so pretty! I have a shawl that My grandmother made for me from that book. It's the Emma shawl I think and mine is blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Hannah! :) That is so neat! I just looked up a picture of the Emma shawl and it looks gorgeous.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love comments as much as Anne Shirley loves Octobers. (In other words, they're one of my favorite things!) Just be sure to click the "Notify Me" button, as I try my best to respond to every comment! Thank you. :)