"Jane of Austin" by Hillary Manton Lodge - A Review

I just recently finished reading Jane of Austin by Hillary Manton Lodge, and oh my goodness, it was nothing short of amazing!! I absolutely loved it, and it has most definitely become one of my new favorite novels. I'm so, so glad I decided to pick it up on a whim one day at the bookstore.

So today I thought I would just write a little overview of what Jane of Austin is all about (with as few spoilers as possible!) and share my thoughts on this beautiful story. :)


Everything is turned upside down for Jane and Celia Woodward when their father's business scandal sends him out of the country and leaves them as the legal guardians of their teenage sister, Margot. In order to support themselves, Jane and Celia decide to open a charming tea shop called Valencia Street Tea Company. Their small business thrives until, a few years later, their landlord dies, and Jane and Celia find themselves forced out of their beloved shop on Valencia Street by their landlord's son and his wife.

The sisters are devastated, but soon realize that they quickly need to find a new space for their tea shop. And at Celia's insistence, that new space just so happens to be halfway across the country, in Austin, Texas. So, with Jane's tea plants in tow, the Woodward sisters pack up and head for the Lone Star State, leaving California behind them.

In Austin, the girls stay at a guesthouse belonging to a distant relative on their late mother's side until they can find a new location for their shop and a home of their own. However, finding a new space for Valencia Tea Company is harder than expected, as none of the places that Celia and Jane consider can even slightly compare to the one they left behind. This, combined with a less-than-ideal living situation and a strained relationship between Jane and Celia, makes for a rocky start to the girls' new life in Texas. And Celia and Jane only grow more distant when the latter falls head over for heels for Sean Willis, a rising musician who seems to charm everyone he meets.

Everyone, that is, except for retired Marine Captain Callum Beckett. Callum never intended to leave the military, but the loss of his left leg and the news of his father's death have brought him back to the very place where he never wished to return--Austin, Texas.
First of all, I absolutely love the fact that Jane of Austin is a modern spin on Sense and Sensibility. Because of that, there are so many awesome parallels between the two novels! Hillary Manton Lodge did a wonderful job at crafting a clever, creative story that borrows from Sense and Sensibility, but never in a way that felt forced or like it was trying too hard to be Austen-esque. It's definitely an incredible story that stands on its own, and the fact that it's inspired by S&S is just the icing on the cake!

Next up, let's discuss characters! Jane, the middle sister, is modeled after Marianne Dashwood. She's fun, energetic, creative, spunky, and very passionate about tea. Celia, the eldest sister, is super sweet, sensible, and reserved, just like Elinor Dashwood. I really loved Jane and Celia; they felt so real, and even when they went through some difficult times, their relationship with one another was nonetheless beautiful and strong.

Now, since this novel is inspired by Sense and Sensibility, I think you can probably take a guess as to what Sean Willis and Callum Beckett are like! Sean is the Mr. Willoughby of the story--dashing, charming, and in Jane's eyes, practically perfect. 

Everyone falls for his act except Callum Beckett, who has just returned from overseas after losing his left leg in action. Quiet, caring, and selfless, Callum is most definitely a swoon-worthy hero! I adored his character, and (*spoiler alert!*) I was so, so happy for him when Jane finally realized her love for him. The relationship that slowly develops between them is so very beautiful and sweet, and I love the fact that because the narration of the story switches back and forth between Jane's point of view and Callum's, you get to see both sides of their love story. I think I may have just discovered a new favorite literary hero, heroine and couple! <3


Another thing that I love about Jane of Austin is that there are delicious-sounding recipes at the end of most chapters! Needless to say, you will be very hungry while reading this book. I found myself craving scones and wanting to drink copious amounts of hot tea all throughout! ;) I also really like the fact that there are chapter quotes at the beginning of each chapter. For Jane, the quotes are always related to tea, and for Callum, the quotes always have to do with Texas.
Overall, I cannot recommend Jane of Austin enough. If it isn't on your to-read list yet, you definitely need to remedy that! It's a beautifully written, inspiring, absolutely delightful story that I see myself reading over and over. One of the reviews on the back cover of this book described it as "quirky and enchanting," and I think that perfectly sums up this darling story. :)

Have you read, or heard of, Jane of Austin?
If not, did my review convince you to check it out sometime? (If it did, then yay! I succeeded in my goal of writing this post. ;P)

Sincerely,
Molly

Comments

  1. I have seen this book around and thought it looked interesting, but after reading your review I definitely want to read it. Sounds like a really sweet story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! You totally should, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it if you do. :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome review! I love reading your stuff when you're so passionate about something! I think you may have convinced me to read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Dad!! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) And yay! I think you would like it. :D

      Delete
  3. Your review convinced me! I definitely need to read this book now. :) It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay, I'm so glad! You should definitely give it a read when you get the chance; I'm sure you'd enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  4. Sense and Sensibility is my favorite Austen book, I love making (but mostly eating) scones, and I drink tea....pretty much every day.

    Yup. This book is definitely on my to-read list now. :D

    Ps. Your blog is so lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane of Austin sounds like it would be right up your alley, then! I'm sure you'll love it. :D

      Aww, thank you so much, Natalie! I was excited to see your comment because I LOVE your blog and think it's absolutely lovely, too. <3

      Delete
    2. Guess what? I got it from the library and read it! IT WAS SO GOOD.

      I've never really loved Colonel Brandon as a hero, but this version made me REALLY like him. And everything else...Jane...tea...Texas...the quotes. I loved it. :) Thanks so much for reviewing it! :D

      Awwww. YOU'RE TOO SWEET. Thank you!! :D

      Delete
    3. YAY!! I'm so glad you were able to read it and that you enjoyed it!

      Yes, same here. It's not that I ever had anything against Colonel Brandon, but he's just never been my favorite. (It's hard to compete against guys like Mr Tilney and Mr Knightely, right? ;P) But I totally agree, Callum Beckett gave me a much greater appreciation for Colonel Brandon.

      You are so welcome! I'm so glad that you enjoyed my review, and that it made you want to read this lovely novel.

      Aww, you're welcome, Natalie! <3

      Delete
    4. Me too! :D

      Riiight, exactly! (Haha, agreed. Mr. Knightley is my favorite, then it's a toss up between Mr. Darcy and Henry. :D)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love comments as much as Anne Shirley loves Octobers. (In other words, they're one of my favorite things!) Just be sure to click the "Notify Me" button, as I try my best to respond to every comment! Thank you. :)