The Young Victoria, Books, and Going Off to College

Hello, dear readers! I hope that your March is off to a great start so far. Mine has been pretty chilly and grey, in spite of some nice spring-y days that we had just last week, but I'm hoping that the warm weather and sunshine will return soon!

So today I just thought I would put together a quick, rather random post about some things I've been up to lately. (Although I should probably be spending this time writing some essays that I need to get around to instead.... But hey, a blog post could help get my creative juices flowing, right? ;P)


How cute is this photo?!

I watched The Young Victoria for the very first time a few days ago, and overall I thought it was so, so good! Aside from a few skippable scenes, I really loved this film. The costumes, the scenery, the music, the story...it was all just wonderful! Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend were great as Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, and they made such an adorable couple. I especially loved the proposal scene! <3

Overall, I thought this was such a beautiful, lighthearted, sweet period drama, and I'll definitely be watching it again soon. I'm actually listening to the soundtrack right now as I write this post; it's just gorgeous! :)

(Also, I've made an interesting discovery: I'm about the exact same height as Queen Victoria! Apparently she was 4'11", and I am too! (Well, I'm 4'11" and 5/8, to be exact. ;P) Now whenever someone comments on my short stature, I can reply that I'm the height of a former English queen. ;D)


For some reason, most of the books I've read so far this year have been Jane Austen-inspired. At the beginning of the year, I read two Christian fiction novels by Katherine Reay, called "The Austen Escape" and "Dear Mr. Knightley." I also finally got around to reading "Letters from Pemberley" by Jane Dawkins, which I won in a giveaway from Hamlette's "I Love Austen Week" blog event from last year. 

And now, I'm currently reading another Christian fiction novel called "Jane of Austin" by Hillary Manton Lodge. When I first spotted it at the bookstore, I was immediately drawn in by its beautiful cover and clever play on words! It's a modern spin on Sense and Sensibility, and overall I'm loving it. (Also, I followed the author on Instagram and she followed me back! I don't know, I just thought that was cool. ;D)


I love this green dress that Victoria wears. 
Okay, you're probably tired by now of hearing about my college plans, but this will be the last update for a while, I promise! So, I officially enrolled yesterday at Regent University as an on-campus student, and overall I'm so very excited! As I mentioned on here a couple of posts back, for a short while I had been considering taking online classes instead, but I have finally decided against that as I really felt that the Lord was leading me to go the traditional on-campus route. I think one of the main reasons I had thought about doing online classes in the first place was because it was more in my comfort zone, but I've realized that isn't at all a good reason! I think it'll be a great experience to, yes, step outside of my comfort zone, try new things, and hopefully meet some new kindred spirits whilst staying on-campus.

So I am officially going off to college this August (that sounds so crazy to say!), and I am very much looking forward to this exciting new adventure that God has in store for me. :)


Let's just continue on with the theme of images from The Young Victoria, shall we? <3
This is quite a boring life update, but I recently picked up a part-time job at a fast-food restaurant called Chick-fil-A. I work there a couple of evenings each week, and while it definitely isn't ideal or particularly enjoyable, I know it's just a stepping stone and a good opportunity for me to earn some money towards college. With God's help I'm trying to stay positive even when it's crazy stressful. :)


Lastly, I'm currently in the midst of planning a fun blog party with a lovely blogging friend, all about a certain wonderful novel that we all adore. I'm going to be announcing it in a couple of days, so stay tuned for that! I'm so excited about it. :)
Well, 'tis rather late, so I shall go ahead and wrap up this post here. Thanks so much for reading! 

Have you ever seen The Young Victoria?
What book are you reading at the moment?

Yours truly,
Molly

Comments

  1. Always lovely to visit with you, Molly...
    I enjoyed this little update...so exciting to hear of your college plans! What is it that you will be studying?
    Oh, how I love The Young Victoria...I have seen it numerous times and love it more with each viewing! {{smiles}} A pity about those scenes that need skipping...but a delightful period drama! I am busy watching the first season of The Paradise at the moment. Not too sure what to make of it - some of the content is a little objectionable, but I do appreciate the fact that each episode (so far) ends on a good note with the characters doing the right thing. We shall see... {{smiles}}
    Oh my, I didn't realise there were so many Christian Austen-inspired novels...I must look into them.
    Enjoy these precious moments at home before you leave for college, Molly...and I hope that work goes well for you!
    Much love to you!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment, Kelly-Anne!

      I'm so glad you enjoyed this post! I'm planning to major in history and minor in English. :)

      Yes, delightful is the perfect word for The Young Victoria! I'll definitely be watching it again soon. <3 I don't think I've heard of The Paradise, but maybe I should give it a try sometime. :)

      I didn't know there were so many either, but I definitely recommend the ones I mentioned! They're very well-written, entertaining, and bursting with delightful references to Austen's novels.

      Aww, thank you, Kelly-Anne! You are so right; I'm definitely going to try to truly embrace these last few months before starting school. :)

      Love to you as well, dear! <3

      Delete
  2. Love all the Young Victoria pictures--gorgeous! I recently finished Austenland, which is a Jane Austen inspired book, obviously. All of the books you mentioned are on my reading list, but I haven't gotten to them yet. I need to soon.

    Yes, going to a campus for college is not in my comfort zone either, but I am excited because I know it's what God wants for me, too. I hope your college experience turns out great! :) And I am so looking forward to the blog party you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I found so many lovely Young Victoria pictures on Pinterest and couldn't resist including them in this post. :) I haven't read Austenland yet! How did you like it?

      I'm glad you feel kind of the same way about staying on campus for college! I definitely feel kind of nervous about the idea at times, but like you said, overall I'm excited and at peace because I know it's God's will for me! I hope your college experience is wonderful as well, Elanor. <3

      I'm glad you're looking forward to the blog party! I'll be announcing it very soon and I'm so excited. :D

      Delete
    2. What did I think of Austenland...well, my review of is coming soon on my blog, but, in short, I like the movie better actually, which is not normally the case. (Idk if you have seen that one...) Anyway, I have heard so much good about Katherine Reay's books that I am excited to try them soon. :)

      Delete
    3. No, I haven't seen the movie yet, but maybe I should check it out someday. :) I've had that happen too sometimes where I read a book and end up liking the movie better; it's always kind of surprising!

      But yes, I really enjoyed the two books I've read by Katherine Reay, and I think you'll like them! :D

      Delete
  3. The Young Victoria is such a lovely movie! I really enjoyed watching it.
    Wow! It is so crazy that you have the same height as Victoria, how interesting. :)

    YOU ARE GOING TO COLLEGE!! That must be excited and a little bit scary. But I am sure you will going to have a splendid time and God will always be there with you. (does that sound silly?) I have been going to a public school myself for a year now, at first it was scary and I really was glad when I was home, but later it went so fun and I loved it! I still do. Sorry for telling you, I might be boring for you. :>

    Am now really looking forward to this blog party, I hope I can join. :D

    I haven't read any books lately, but I am planning to do it.

    It is good to hear from you dear! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it truly is a lovely movie! I'm glad you like it, too. :)
      Haha, I know right? I thought it was kind of crazy too, and also pretty cool! ;D

      Yes, I am!! It is a bit scary and nerve-wracking at times, but overall I'm excited, because like you said, God will be with me always! (And no, that didn't sound silly at all, dear! I appreciate you saying that. :)) I'm glad that you've gotten used to public school and that you're really enjoying it now! I hope it continues to go great for you. (And I didn't find that all boring! It goes right along with what I was talking about.)

      Yay, I'm so glad you're looking forward to the blog party! I can't wait to announce it, and yes, of course you may join in on the fun!

      I can relate to not having much time to read, but I hope you'll be able to squeeze in a good book soon!

      Thank you so much for your sweet comment, Rachel! I'm happy you enjoyed this post. <3

      Delete
  4. That is so amazing! I hope that you are a wonderful experiance at college! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments as much as Anne Shirley loves Octobers. (In other words, they're one of my favorite things!) Just be sure to click the "Notify Me" button, as I try my best to respond to every comment! Thank you. :)